Thursday, February 26, 2009

City people vs. regular people

Last night I helped my Jew friend. It's okay to call him that because we have a little "thing." We worked together at my last job, and he, being a, in his words, "hard agnostic libertarian self-hating Jew," gets some kind of perverse pleasure antagonizing me by saying things like "The Catholic Church has always been against free and open intellectual inquiry."

You can imagine how well I, as a hardcore Catholic, take that.

Even worse, though, is how he would sometimes throw his pro-"choice" stance in my face. Once during a mailing (where all the parameciums at the organization gather in a conference room to stamp, stuff and lick envelopes) he denied the fetus had rights under the constitution. This was at the end of long string of similar conversations, and I blew up (in a friendly way) and told him, in front of a room full of people, that it was perverse for a JEW to be dehumanizing a class of people especially while there were still living Holocaust survivors.

And yet, we've developed the beginning of a friendship. Heh. Go fig.

Anyway, last night he needed my services to help him move into a new den of iniquity with his girlfriend, an even MORE virulently atheist libertarian feminist. (They both worship Ron Paul, by the way. Whoever said politics makes strange bedfellows was right on.)

When we got to her place, she showed me an area of concern at the front door. It didn't open all the way, and she was worried that we wouldn't be able to get the somewhat heavy dresser from her room through it. This girl talks a mile a minute, and I couldn't get a word in edgewise.

"See, it only opens this far [about halfway] and stops. There's a bump in the floor. I think we'll have to take the dresser apart but I don't want to do you think weshouldtakethedrawersoutfirstRONPAULRULESIHATEABORTIONBUTI'MPRO-CHOICE!"

That's basically how the whole move went. They were fun kids.

While she was talking, I put took my gloves off and set them aside. The door had a big decorative handle on it, so I just bent down a little bit, lifted up, and opened the door. It opened all the way nearly effortlessly.

"OMG How did you do that?!? [Jew]! Come here! Chris fixed the door! So THAT'S how they got the couches in here. I had no idea!"

I had to pretend to get something from my truck I was laughing so hard.

City people. They'll keep me in business as long as there are cities.

No comments: