Thursday, March 5, 2009

Lol @ "Survival jobs"

I just heard a news item talking about "survival jobs." It was short, but I got the point--lots of people are taking jobs to survive. Laid-off executives are holding their chins high and getting their hands dirty for the first time in years. They're "proud of the work they do," and probably feel close to the "common man."

All I can say is "welcome to the club." Here's a Budweiser for you. None of that light crap. And I'm sorry, but we don't serve Manhattans here. Lol

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Man -- I found your blog through another I read daily. Your story & struggles have been an inspiration to me. Keep up the good work & give my blog a look sometime!

-Carl

Christopher said...

Carl,

Thanks, man! I have to go paint a customer's apartment for the day, but I plan on slacking off for the other half of the day. I'll happily check out your blog--and even link to it. (Please link to MyTruckBuddy.com, too. ;-)).

I'm happy to have been an inspiration, but I assure you, it's a daily struggle to keep the a-hole in me from taking over.

Anonymous said...

Keep on trucking man! ;)

Anonymous said...

p.s. -- Even at $60/hr your prices are insanely low compared to any movers I hae ever used. Have you tried seeing if you can get business still at a higher price?

Christopher said...

Carl,

Pricing is an eternal pain in the ass for me, and I'm getting a lot of "That's very reasonable!" from my customers about the new pricing system. So, yeah, I have thought about raising the price. But I have to be able to justify it because I only have a small pickup and trailer. Guys who charge more have big trucks. Yes, I bring a lot of other value to the table, but it gets a little tougher to sell at that point.

I'm working on it, though...I'm working on it...

Anonymous said...

Yeh -- You're probably right. The guys I used had a large box truck. Would be an interesting business model -- If you were able to buy a large box truck and hire 1 steady lumper type employee for $10/hr cash or whatever.

Cheers,

-Carl