Thursday, February 26, 2009

If you can't beat 'em...

(Repost because the formatting was all screwed up, and I think it was this post.)

I must be doing something right--I've seen an incredible uptick of plagiarism and outright theft of my ads on Craigslist. The copy isn't particularly stunning in most cases. Here's a snippet of mine I've been seeing around CL:

• Low, flat rates that won’t break the bank.
• Fast, free estimates and no surprise or hidden fees.
• Door-to-door service so you don’t have to pick up a truck.
• Prompt, professional manpower – people you can trust who show up on time

In the end, it's no big deal, but I hate the fact that the poseurs who can't even write their own ads dilute the truth by stealing from me. Got that WASEEM? I will flag you with fire all across the tubes.

Equally irksome is when they steal images from my Website. For example, I've seen this one around:



Of course, I don't have any legal recourse because, well, I stole it from somewhere too. Heh. Life in the jungle.

I've been thinking for awhile that I might get into CL advertising for any number of businesses. CL isn't exactly the Louvre, and I have taught myself a pretty good graphic design skillset, so why not? I could always do it on the side. I could even embed links to my site into images I create for my competitors.

I'm sure this is how an organized crime ring gets started...

No comments: